Saturday, January 17, 2009

123... Soon to be extinct?




One of the first administrative tasks I take care of when I join a new organization is ordering business cards. With the proliferation of virtual jobs, this practice may seem increasingly retro but nothing screams official to me like business cards. That's why I don't let a minor setback like being unemployed (funemployed?) deny me the pleasure of handing out a card while interviewing or networking. So when my latest contract ended on December 31st, I set about to order a new set that would coordinate with my blue resume logo, something similar to what I had during my last job hunting stint:



Astute readers may notice that my blog name is actually, as personal branding maven extraordinaire, Rachael Ray would say a "wink and a nudge" to my last name. While it does not feature a watermark or even braised lettering a la the American Psycho* scene, it was a tasteful, attractive option at an affordable price from our friends at VistaPrint.

This time around, I had the brainchild to try a different vendor since I associated Vista with their ubiquitous free business card offer where they'd print their own logo on the back. Never mind that there is an option to remove their logo for a nominal fee, they just struck me as the Wal-mart of the print world. So I decided to take a chance on 123Print since it was the second choice to pop up in my google search for business cards. This simple design on their site appealed to me because it afforded me the space to list my specialties and who wouldn't want to turn on an interviewer, metaphorically speaking?


Alas, what actually arrived in the mail 3 business days later was a complete turn off. What was touted as a member of the blue family above (and also on the PDF proof mind you) was actually a streaky, blotchy teal mess which wouldn't coordinate with a tiki bar much less my resume! Never mind watermarks, the cards appeared to be marred by water stains. Did I mention the semi-gloss finish gave them the appearance of being fully shellacked in nail hardener?


This sad state of affairs has left me no alternative but to place another order with our trusty friends at VistaPrint, unless of course, anyone out there can offer a better suggestion?

*PS - Was it just me or did anyone else instinctively read BATMAN when Christian Bale's Patrick BATEMAN character presented his business card?
NRelate Related Content